Monday, March 9, 2009

Random Thought at 2:00 am.

From time to time, I may find the best vehicle for the most random of thoughts is this blog, and perhaps cataloguing them might eventually come to fruition with a deep-hidden revelation about humanity. I can't be certain. I do, however, want to include thoughts on interesting perspectives on human interaction, for a larger purpose that I will reveal later. With that being said, the following transpired last Friday, and I thought nothing of it until late night Sunday, unable to sleep, and contemplating recording the thought. The argument for documenting the thought won out, and here I am.


I was in the office I work at, and was talking to a coworker absentmindedly about the upcoming Daylight Savings change to occur this weekend. A nearby student heard what we were talking about.


What she said: "Oh, its Daylight Savings Time this weekend? I'm glad you told me, I would have slept right through it next Monday! Haha!" What I said: "Yeah, I know what you mean." What I now wish I had said: "I find it hard to believe you would have gone the entire weekend without getting the update regarding this culturally universal bi-annual event. However, I realize you aren't really thinking about this, and are simply looking for lighthearted reciprocation, but I cannot bring myself to engage in stimulating conversation with you regarding such an unavoidable, yet vapid category of small talk."


If only I could have been that eloquent 61 hours ago. However, to say this to her would have been to call out an unspoken societal agreement to accept small talk as a futile means of attempting to connect with each other. (Its for this very reason that I despise talking about the weather. If you find yourself talking to someone about the weather, its because neither of you believe the other is captivating enough for deeper conversation.)


I wonder if she will wake up at the correct time in the morning. I hope she does.

1 comment: